Friday, February 7, 2014

C4T #1

For my C4T #1 (Comment for Teacher), I had Dr. Paige Vitulli.

Dr. Vitulli's first post I commented on was about mask-making. She brought up two very great points. One, Masks are an universal art form produced by cultures world-wide to fulfill a variety of purposes. Two, Student's can learn about mask making in various cultures. Here Dr. Vitulli let her students' produce their own mask. After making their masks, they had to answer these questions in their own description of their mask:

1. What cultural influence did you use as inspiration for your mask?
2. What were the authentic purposes for the mask in that culture?
3. What materials did you use in the production to simulate authentic materials?
4. How were the elements of art used to create the mask and represent the culture?
5. What did you learn?
6. What might you do differently next time?
7. What did you do best in the process?

Dr. Vitulli posted a few pictures and descriptions of her students' masks on her blog. They are very interesting to look at and read. I will post a link to her blog at the bottom of this post!

On my first comment I left on Dr. Vitulli's blog, I clearly stated how I loved her idea of letting her students learn about different cultures by creating a mask. I also went on to say, that this is something fun and creative, but also educational. I loved the fact that they had to research all these cultures to pick one to make their masks, and not just given a culture automatically. I also let her know that reading her students' descriptions was very interesting and that I learned a lot of new, cool facts about all these different cultures.

On her second post I commented on, it informed me about International Dot Day. I have never even heard of Dot Day until reading this! Dot Day is a global celebration of creativity, courage, and collaboration. Dr. Vitulli mentions this, "The Dot is the story of a caring teacher who dares a doubting student to trust in her own abilities by being brave enough to make her mark! What begins with a small dot on a piece of paper becomes a breakthrough in confidence and courage, igniting a journey of self-discovery and sharing, which has gone on to inspire countless children and adults around the globe." Her classes, here at the University of South Alabama, took part in this day. They used white copy paper and crayons. Each square (sheet of paper) was crumpled and smoothed out multiple times to break down the stiffness of the paper and crayons, making a fabric-like texture. They, then, hole punched it and tied yarn to each piece creating a Dot Quilt! I highly recommend you go look at all the pictures she has posted on her blog! Their really neat to look at!

For this comment I simply stated that I thought her idea of making a quilt out of white copy paper and crayons was interesting and innovating. Also, that this let her students' be creative. I mean drawing something from one small dot on a sheet of paper is being pretty creative!

Here is the link to her blog, feel free to go check it out! She has a lot of interesting posts and pictures on here! Simply hit "Blogger" below to be redirected to her blog.

blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment